Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Can people truly change

My friend Bryan just wrote an awesome post titled "Can someone truly change?"  I always read his blog and wanted to elaborate on another element of change that most of us may not be proud of but it is real. 


In the movie the "Matrix" Morpheus said, "Life is not without a sense of irony."  Yes life, if given the opportunity to live long enough, is filled with nothing but lesson enriched ironies. In fact irony cannot exist without change but there is a missing element to irony someone must "see" to fulfill the definition of the word "irony".  A person must have the perspective to see. Someone must be able to understand the world around them and in the inner-world within. 

Part of understanding is acceptance of what is real. Whether a person likes what they see or not is irrelevant to accept what is real is truth. Once that is accomplished then you determine if what you see is contradictory to what you want your life to be. In definition of what irony is "incongruity between what is expected to be and what actually is, or a situation or result showing such incongruity."  So you see, there must be mutation, transformation, evolution or whatever you want to call it.  Some form of change had to occur. 


For example, I never thought my life would be at the point it is right now. At age 20 I had my own house, working at a job I hated but steady, had a car, not much money in my pocket but knew I was destined for more if I kept working at what I wanted. Isn't it ironic that at this point in my life I obtained the very opposite of that I had, when learning through life means you are supposed to be richer than poorer. At least that is how I believe life worked in normal society.  


I always wanted to help people because I thought in life, being there for others is characteristic of good people. How ironic that with as many people I want to touch I feel somehow I have done the exact opposite the goal I wanted to reach. 


So, what does this have to do with change?  Something had to transform for this type of irony to take place. If I realize that my life is different from how I imagined it, then what changed? If helping people is what I always wanted to do but vision that I could have hurt someone, then what changed? Someone had to become different from the vision that I saw from myself or from the path of productive normalcy. 

Let's make this all simple. People can truly change and at times, not for the better but still a change. Someone must be able to see this or all they are doing is "living in a dream world". To know that life is not where you want it to be, to know that you may have hurt instead of helping others and to admit that whether you know it to be true or not is part of ironic perspective.  

Now, you must accept "what is real" at this point and whether you want to move forward to what you want for your life. The type of person you want to be, are you content with the accepting who you are right now, as is?

The question was can you truly change?  Yes, you can truly change and for the worse which for most people is the easiest change of all. It takes no effort to transform into what do not want to be. Now to transmute your being into the person you want to be, that is one of the most difficult tasks in the universe. You realize that you really did not know who you were if you could have easily moved to the opposite end of your life spectrum. In other words, you have to work twice as hard to truly know who you want to be and then to reach that goal. 

1 comment:

  1. A valid point of fact. Yes a person can change for the worse and not even be aware that it is happening. But the use of irony is touching here, because you and I know where we have been and what we have overcome. Our path was one of our own choosing and when we made that choice we set a wheel of actions, reactions, consequences into the wheel of life and karma. No wonder we for awhile were transformed for the worse. Look at what we were doing to ourselves and everyone around us.

    I really do like what you have written here. Thank you for the different angle and perspective. If anyone else wants to read some of my work my blog is bryanzepp.blogspot.com

    Greg...thanks again for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete