Thursday, May 10, 2012

I thank Barack Obama for nothing

I know I am going to hear a lot of flack from the gay community for not supporting Obama's paperweight pledge to support gay marriage. I am gay, of course, but I find it too convenient that right after North Carolina had their tragic vote to amend the state constitution to codify marriage to only be between a man and women, Obama has a miraculous change of heart to support gay people now.

Why don't we open our eyes and see that he does not care about our issue. He is a decent president that got some things worked out for the county as a whole and he carried on in the initiatives that Bush started but that does not mean he gives a damn about our cause.

The way I look at the situation, if he cared about gay rights so much, why did his administration decide to take "no action" on the executive order the HRC advocated about homosexual discrimination in the work place.  That had nothing to do with marriage expect for the the word "gay" in the title.

You can't be against one set of gay rights and then want to come out publicly for another. That makes you a hypocrite and foolish gay people are thanking him all over place. No, I will say thank you when young gay men are not dying because they are being bullied all over this nation.

1 comment:

  1. Greg,

    I see where you are coming from on what you have written. However, I honestly think you are giving too much credit to the President to be motivated by a political decision. What you need to realize is that the timing of this announcement co-insides with Obama meeting with the Financially elite and outspoken activism of Hollywood. His announcement was on the eve of him having dinner with George Clooney. An estimated 15 million dollars is expected to be raised at this event for his re-election campaign. What I guess I am driving at is that Obama said the right thing at the right time in order to ensure that the Democratic party and his re-election campaign got the money. Just like anything in this life you have to accept the good with the bad in order to make a successful union. I think that is exactly what he is trying to accomplish. I will write more when I have a chance.

    B

    ReplyDelete